Recently, the self-defense civil liberties of women have fallen into the crossfire of gun rights. Anti-gun advocates cite The University of Colorado at Colorado Spring’s rather timid, anti-feminist protection guide and tips as the solution for women to defend themselves instead of carrying a handgun for protection. In fact, these preventative tips are downright mocking and disrespectful towards the female gender. Why you ask? Here’s a snippet from the guide:
- Be realistic about your ability to protect yourself.
- Your instinct may be to scream, go ahead! It may startle your attacker and give you an opportunity to run away.
- Kick off your shoes if you have time and can’t run in them.
- Don’t take time to look back; just get away.
- If your life is in danger, passive resistance may be your best defense.
- Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating.
- Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone.
- Yelling, hitting or biting may give you a chance to escape, do it!
- Understand that some actions on your part might lead to more harm. Remember, every emergency situation is different. Only you can decide which action is most appropriate.
So essentially, this guide is recommending that women reason with their attackers and claim they have a disease and are menstruating as a deterrent. The last time I checked, most psychological studies show that violent attackers have little ability for reasoning skills, so why would any female who fears for her very life take the time to think about this sexist, government-ridden impasse list? I for one, would feel far safer carrying a concealed weapon that could easily make up for any advantage an attacker has based on my small stature and size.
In fact, as violent crime has increased with our downturned economy, concealed weapon permit applications and gun background checks have increased. Any woman, who has been robbed, raped or violated, never wants to relive that experience again. She will go to any measure to ensure the safety of herself and her family.
This leads many to wonder if The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs supports women’s rights to serve in the military as equals to men. Or rather, are women in combat supposed to urinate on their enemies and use assault whistles in an attempt to defend themselves? Hypocrisy of government officials is downright insulting to the female intelligence. Perhaps they should be reminded of the definition of hypocrisy as published by Merriam-Webster, “a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not.”
I challenge any woman leader who believes this guideline for female self-defense is valid to go up against an attacker by following only the advice outlined by The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. I guarantee when faced with a life and death situation, these female politicians (and male politicians out there too!) would gladly defend and protect their lives with a handgun.
Techna Clip specializes in carrying gun belt clips, including those for the Sig P238 gun clip and IC9 gun clip.